If you want to be a Legal PA or secretary do you need specific legal secretary skills? Alison Boler, PA to three Heads of Legal and Business Affairs at ITV suggests this list of 5 key skills needed by a legal PA:
1. DISCRETION: leads to TRUST from the people you work with; you never repeat anything you hear.
2. ORGANISATION: being ordered, methodical and planning your work gives your role a positive STRUCTURE.
3. CONFIDENCE: being strong and confident gives REASSURANCE to your boss and your clients that you are in control and you know what you are doing.
4. SPEED & ACCURACY: a legal document or contract will have your boss’s name on it and should always reflect the QUALITY of your work.
5. KEEPING CALM: being un-flappable under pressure or while working to extremely tight deadlines shows you are in CONTROL.
This list is taken from a longer article entitled "What's it like working as a Legal PA?" written by Alison Boler. The full article can be found on Desk Demon UK.
If you are considering a career as a Legal Secretary or a Legal PA take a look at our Professional Executive Legal PA Course or our Legal Secretary Course both of which are accredited by the IoP (Institute of Paralegals).